Monday, March 2, 2009

Green Isle to Spanish Sunshine

Hola amigas!
I have not written in a VERY long time, which I think is a good way of gadging my level of interest in where I am? Or, perhaps I was just lazy. I am currently in Madrid, Spain but don´t want to talk about that until I discuss Ireland.
I have been so very lucky to meet some wonderful people in Belfast, Northern Ireland, all of which are within Christine´s lovely community. They graciously took us in, fed us, and drove us all over. We also had Beth and Craig visit, which is when we decided to visit the Giant´s Causeway and northern coast. There are no words for the round stones that decorated the sea, they were mythical stepping stones that can only be found in that sacred spot and then right over the sea in Scotland. They say a giant built this causeway in order to cross over to his Scottish love! We had lovely sunny weather too, something I am realizing is very rare in Ireland!
Christine and I became immersed in her old community and had fun helping out with some projects and going to pubs and youth groups with all her friends.
Belfast is one of the most interesting cities I have ever been to in that it is segregated. Church and State are so intertwined that one forgets where one begins and the other ends. There is a peace wall down the middle that seperates the Protestants from the Catholics, and thus Belfast is torn between two religions. The important thing I learned is that it is not JUST about religion, but is more a question of their very identity. If you are Protestant, you are loyal to the Queen and thus view yourself as British. The Catholics of course consider themselves Irish. Christine and I mostly were around people that are working with the Belfast youth in attempt so bring together Protestant and Catholic kids and stop the rift that has so troubled their small but proud country.
More on Ireland in a bit....I am heading back to the apartment here in Madrid :-)

No comments: